Please note that this was a past program in 2018—For information on the 2019 program for kids and teens, visit kids.newyorkjazzworkshop.com.
Teen Jazz Summer Camp
(Ages 12 – 16 years old)
4 Days for $540
Faculty: Bill Stevens, Les Rose, Craig McGorry, Vito Lesczak, Billy Test, and more to be announced
It’s All About Improvisation
Jazz improvisation is the ultimate form of interactive musical expression. It involves listening to the other band members and making a contribution in the context of what the group is doing. Perform and learn about jazz in an environment that is friendly, informative, and FUN! The skills you’ll learn in this jazz camp are vital to your development as a musician, and can be applied to other styles of music, as well as your personal and professional life. The camp is led by a group of talented and dedicated educators—Each of them talented jazz musicians in their own right, with plenty of years experience teaching music to kids and teens.
What if I only studied classical music? Classical music is a great foundation for learning jazz. Your classical background will help you create melodic ideas for improvisation and hone your jazz technique.
What experience do I need to have to participate in the workshop?
Students should have 2-3 years of experience with their instrument, as well as some knowledge of scales, arpeggios, chords and notation.
What will I learn at the summer camp?
- Repertoire: Learn how to play standard jazz tunes.
- Theory: Gain a harmonic and melodic understanding of chords, scales and key centers.
- Ear training: Learn how to hear chord types and melodic patterns by ear and notate them on the music staff.
- Transcribing/Listening: Transcribe a Miles Davis solo from his classic album “Kind of Blue”, as well as discuss other examples of great jazz compositions and improvisations.
- Improvisation: Create melodies in the moment by applying theory and ear training.
- Ensemble (Combo): Play and improvise in a small jazz ensemble.
- Composition and Jazz Connections to Music Today: Compose and arrange an original piece of music, as well as compare jazz music from the past with present musical styles.
- Performance: Apply the knowledge you’ve gained and sharpen your skills through performance.
Join us for this wonderful learning experience. Register for our Teen Jazz Summer Camp today.
New York Jazz Teen Summer Workshop FAQs
What is the age requirement?
Students must be 12 – 16 years old.
When are the classes?
Monday, August 13 – Thursday, August 16th
What is the schedule?
Classes start at 10:30am and end at 3:30pm, with a 1-hour lunch break from 12:30 to 1:30. We do not provide lunch for students.
Where are the classes held?
Classes are held at:
New York Jazz Workshop
149 W 46th street, 2nd floor, between 6th and 7th ave.
NY, NY 10036 US
Who is teaching the class?
Craig McGorry– saxophone
Bill Stevens- trumpet
Les Rose- saxophone/clarinet
Vito Lesczak– drums
Billy Test– piano
And more to be announced!
What do I need to bring?
All you need is your lunch, instrument, sheet music and a pencil. We have drum kit, piano and amplifiers on site. If you need an instrument, let us know and we will provide some options.
For more information, fill out the registration form or email us.