Days: Monday through Friday
Time: 11am to 4pm / optional 4 – 5pm Private Lesson**
**additional fee applies
Teens Jazz Camp 2023:
Ages: 12 – 16 years old
JULY 3 – 7
JULY 10 – 14
In case of scheduling conflicts, let us know. With enough interest we can organize additional weeks in the summer.
See below for a detailed rates and cancellation overview.
Registration/Inquiry: The registration is quick and non-committal through an online form: register
After the payment is received the spot will be reserved. We do offer a down payment option (see below)
Classes are held at our main location:
New York Jazz Workshop
265W 37th street, 10th floor
It’s All About Improvisation!
Jazz improvisation is the ultimate form of interactive musical expression. Our Teen Summer Jazz Camp allows students to perform and learn about jazz in an environment that is friendly, informative, and FUN! With the help of NYC professionals, students will learn how to apply jazz theory, ear training, and ensemble playing to ALL styles of music. Our camp is led by a group of seasoned and dedicated educators, with plenty of years experience teaching music to kids and teens. Each week will have two different teachers who focus on different topics and ideas. Therefore every week will be a new experience. Please take note that we have one class a week with a maximum of 10 students per week.
What experience do I need to have to participate in the Teen Summer Jazz Camp?
Students should have an absolute minimum of 2 to 3 years experience with their instrument as well as some knowledge of scales, arpeggios, chords and notation. All students are requested to email us a sample of their playing either in mp3 format or a video sample. This does not need to be high quality production, a small clip recorded with a phone or small recording device will be sufficient. On the first day of camp there will be a light written test and a playing opportunity which allows the faculty to refine the level assessment and adjust the content of the curriculum to appropriately match to the levels of the students.
What will I learn at the Teen Summer Jazz Camp?
- Repertoire: Learn how to play standard jazz tunes.
- Theory: Gain a harmonic and melodic understanding of chords, scales and key centers.
- Ear training: Learn how to hear chord types and melodic patterns by ear and notate them on the music staff.
- Transcribing/Listening: Transcribe a Miles Davis solo from his classic album “Kind of Blue,” as well as discuss other examples of great jazz compositions and improvisations.
- Improvisation: Create melodies in the moment by applying theory and ear training.
- Ensemble (Combo): Play and improvise in a small jazz ensemble.
- Composition and Jazz Connections to Music Today: Compose and arrange an original piece of music, as well as compare jazz music from the past with present musical styles.
- Performance: Apply the knowledge you’ve gained and sharpen your skills through performance.
- Rhythm: Learn to play in time and develop a stable swing feel.
- Jam-session: Have fun playing with other students and learn how to communicate on the band stand.
- FUN: Above all music is fun. The students will learn in a positive and exciting environment while being exposed to a the musical language by experienced, excitable and seasoned educators.
What does a day look like?
Classes start at 11am and end at 4pm, with a 1-hour lunch break from 12:30 to 1:30. We do not provide lunch for students. Here is an example of what a day would look like:
||Ear Training and Rhythm
||Applied Theory (With Instruments)
||Ensemble and Improvisation
||Changes every day including special guests.
||Optional Private Lessons
• The rate for one week (Mo – Fr) is $795.
• Additional weeks include a 15% discount.
• Optional private lessons (an additional fee applies)
Private lessons will be tailored to the specific needs of the student. Let us know about the level of the student and prep requests for high schools such as La Guardia and the Frank Sinatra school. Connect with Eli for more information. These requests need to be made no later then a week before the start of the program.
A spot is reserved once the full payment is received. The max of a student group is 10 students, no exceptions. We do offer the option to hold your spot with a down payment of $250. The down payment is non-refundable.
The full amount is due two weeks before the start of the workshop. Cancellations are accepted up to two weeks before the start of the workshop. The refundable amount is the total of $795 – $250 = $545.
||$250 (non refundable down payment)
|Full balance due
||2 weeks before the workshops starting date.